- In medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; mix well.
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, brown sugar and butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; beat well. Add flour mixture; blend well. Stir in 1/2 cup of the pecans. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 375°F. For each cookie, with floured hands, shape about 1 tablespoon dough around 1 half of a chocolate caramel, covering completely.
- In small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup pecans and 1 tablespoon sugar. Press one side of each ball into pecan mixture. Place, nut side up, 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375°F. for 7 to 10 minutes or until set and slightly cracked. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes or until completely cooled.