Sarris Rich Chocolate Cake with Coconut Filling and Ganache
- 18 oz. Sarris Dark Break Up Chocolate
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla, divided
- 1 ½ cup strong black coffee
- 3 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Set out the cream cheese to soften. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 10-12 cup bundt pan and dust with cocoa powder.
- In a small saucepan, melt 8 ounces of the chocolate with the shortening. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese with 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/3 cup sugar and the coconut. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled chocolate mixture, 3 eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and coffee.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cake flour, soda and salt.
- Combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just incorporated.
- Pour half of the chocolate cake mixture in to the bundt pan. Top that with the coconut/cream cheese mixture and then top that with the remaining cake mixture.
- Bake on the center rack of a 350 degree oven for 45-65 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the bundt pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake on a serving plate to cool further.
- While cake is cooling, bring the heavy cream to a simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Once the cake has cooled, drizzle or pour (depending on how much icing you want) the ganache on to the cake.
* recipe from nannydeb/Food52
< Return To Main List